The below screenings are mandated by the Pennsylvania Department of Health. These are considered screenings and should not be a substitute for regular check-ups. The school nurses conduct these screenings. All screening results will be shared via the community portal. If your child fails vision, hearing, or scoliosis screening you will receive an additional notification.
Provision of School Health Services and Mandated School Health Services
- All Grades: Height, Weight, Vision (Convex, Color, Stereo/Depth Perception First Grade Only)
- Hearing: K, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 7th, and 11th grade only
- Scoliosis Screen: 6th grade (typically done by physician during physical) and 7th grade
- School law requires that a screening for scoliosis be performed on students while in 7th grade. The purpose of the screening program is to detect possible curvature of the spine in children. If the condition is detected early and appropriately treated, progressive spinal deformity may be prevented. The screening test is very simple and can be performed in less than a minute. Your child's back will be evaluated while he/she stands and bends forward. For this screening, boys and girls will be seen separately. Each child will be required to remove their shoes. As the child bends over, their back will be exposed (only to the nurse during the screening). You will be notified only if medical follow-up is necessary. The screening does not replace your child's regular health care and check-ups. Only students whose parent/guardian(s) give permission will be screened. Permission forms are located on the student portal or a paper copy can be requested to be sent home with student.
Your child failed the vision screening at Millville Area School? Now What?
If your child failed the standard vision screening provided by the school nurse, a second screening was performed with a Spot Vision Screener. Both sets of results will be sent home with your student.
- Remember, this is just a screening and does not replace or supersede a doctor's exam and diagnosis.
- If your child has seen an eye care professional recently, they do not need to be seen outside of the doctor's schedule (yearly exam).
- If your child has not been seen by an eye care professional, it is recommended to schedule an appointment to have their eyes examined. Please have your eye care professional complete the Eye Specialist Report Form and return it to the school nurse.
Your child failed the hearing screening at Millville Area School? Now What?
- Remember, this is just a screening and does not replace or supersede a doctor's exam and diagnosis
- If your child has been seen recently by a physician in regards to their hearing, they do not need to be seen outside of the doctor's schedule.
- If your child has not been evaluated for their hearing, it is recommended that you schedule an appointment to have them further evaluated. Please have your physician complete the Physician/Hearing Specialist Report Form and return it to the school nurse.